Adas Yoshuron has been the heart of Mid-Coast Maine’s Jewish community since 1912 (see History). We are unaffiliated and egalitarian, and this autonomy gives us a unique and vibrant spiritual identity. Our congregation is a diverse group. We are singles, couples, and...Read More
Our Hebrew school includes students ages 7 to 13. The program teaches basic Hebrew reading, prayer, and Jewish ritual and holidays, as well as subjects such as Jewish history, values, and Torah study. The students participate in several Shabbat services each year, and also...Read More
Unaffiliated. All-inclusive. The heart of Mid-Coast Maine's Jewish community — since 1912.
Adas Yoshuron has been the heart of Mid-Coast Maine’s Jewish community since 1912 (see History). We are unaffiliated and egalitarian, and this autonomy gives us a unique and vibrant spiritual identity. Our congregation is a diverse group. We are singles, couples, and families; we are all ages, from young families to elders; we are summer folk and locals; and we are people new to the area as well as long-established families representing two, three, even four generations of Rockland’s Jewish community. We represent a wide range of Jewish experience. This diversity gives us both a strong sense of history and tremendous vitality.
Our community is fortunate to have a knowledgeable and engaging rabbinic presence in Rabbi Natan Margalit, our visiting rabbi, who holds monthly Shabbat services, assists with our Hebrew School, teaches adult education classes and offers pastoral counseling. Rabbi Margalit was ordained at the Jerusalem Seminary and earned a Ph.D. in Talmud from U.C. Berkeley. Rabbi Natan commutes to Rockland once a month from his home in Newton, Massachusetts, where he lives with his wife and two sons. Our community is also fortunate to have several lay leaders, which enables us to hold at least one additional Shabbat service each month. Click on Calendar for an overview of the services, events and courses we offer.
*Donations are tax-deductible to the extent permissible by law. Please contact your tax advisor for more information.
**Membership dues are 3% higher if paying with PayPal, to defray PayPal’s commission.
- Our Adult Ed class takes place on Thursday, Oct. 31, 7 – 8:30 p.m. with Rabbi Margalit teaching about “The People of the Book: A Review of Jewish Sacred Literature Through the Ages.”
- Lunch & Learn with Rabbi Margalit is on Friday, Nov. 1, at noon at Hole in the Wall Bagels, Rockland.
- Friday Night Services with Rabbi Margalit will begin at 6:30 p.m. on Friday, Nov. 1, and will be followed by a catered dinner and discussion on Judaism and Buddhism.
- Shabbat Services will be held on Saturday, Nov. 2, at 10 a.m., followed by a lunch oneg and further discussion of Judaism and Buddhism.
- Our Basic Judaism class with Rabbi Margalit will take place on Saturday, Nov. 2, at 2 p.m. at the synagogue.
- Community Chanukah Party in November: details to come.
For more information, please contact the office, 594-4523, or email email@example.com.